Are you an amateur camera wiz kid waiting to be discovered? Do you like weaving stories with pictures? Then it is your time to shine! Blank Slate Chronicles is excited to present the Soul of India Photo Essay Competition 2018.
We invite photographers to submit photo essays to illustrate their India related stories whether they are about Indian culture, history, travel, or food. Each essay submitted should consist of three (3) to five (5) images. This should be accompanied by a short essay (min 300 words) to summarize the gist of your photo story!
Photo essays can be sequential in nature, intended to be viewed in a particular order, or they may consist of non-ordered photographs which may be viewed all at once to reveal their character and dynamics.
Rules and Regulations
ENTRY DEADLINE: Jan 30, 2018
Note: The complete entry including digital images and write-up must be received no later than Jan 30, 2018. After this date, your entry may not be eligible to be included in the judging process. However, the organizers reserve the right to consider these entries.
- Submissions will be accepted in the form of photographic essays only.
- The competition is open to amateur photographers only. Thanks to Washington Post, we have a definition for professional photographers – “anyone who earns more than 50 percent of his or her annual income from photography”. If you don’t, you are welcome to send your submission!
- Only digital image files will be accepted as an email attachment (not pasted on mail body). Each photographic essay of up to five (5) images constitutes one entry.
- Entries will be judged by a qualified panel on the basis of effectiveness in conveying the story through composition, technique, content, and originality of well-edited images. The accompanying essay would also have equal weight in the final result
- The decision of the judges would be deemed final.
- The photographs and the essay must not have been published before.
1024 x 768 pixels
JPG image files no larger than 1MB each. (Please note: Digital files larger than 1MB will be discarded – hi-resolution images are not required at the preliminary stage. However, we may ask for the same in case your entry makes the cut)
Each image file must be named as <Your First Name>_<Your Last Name>_<Serial Number of photo>. Image file names that do not include the photographer’s name cannot be identified – unidentified files will be rejected (For example: DSC_8555 – this does not identify the image as yours – WE NEED YOUR NAME).
No watermarking or digital mattes, frames, or borders.
Photographer’s name should not be visible on images (every effort is made to judge entries based solely on the image without distractions).
A short synopsis must be provided to describe your photo essay. Entries without the write-up would be disqualified
Please read the following document to understand the Waivers and Indemnity attached to the submission: Soul Of India Photo Essay Competition Grants of Waiver