Jatin Sapru: An inspiring journey to a dream career

BSC wishes Jatin Sapru a very happy birthday! Here’s to many more years of being a rock star with the mic on and off the field!

“Do you know what my favorite part of the game is? The opportunity to play” – Mike Singletary, American Football Coach and Player.

Cricket is not a sport in India, it is a sentiment that embodies excellence. Almost every little boy in India harbors the fantasy of walking down thejatin-sapru-1 pavilion in a packed auditorium, someday. In a country of billions, only a handful get to live the dream. And then, there are a select few, whose passion lands them a spot on that hallowed field, albeit with a microphone in their fists, instead of a bat. We had the pleasure of a conversation with Jatin Sapru, a familiar face in cricket broadcasting today, and discussed with him the joys of his calling!

Of sticky wickets, and brave starts

Jatin was born into a family of academic Kashmiri Pandits. His grandfather was a professor of repute and the family lived comfortably in a farm in Kashmir.

Until communal agitations stranded the family in a one-bedroom apartment in Delhi, landing them in a struggle for survival. Like thousands of others that had to flee the valley with just the clothes on their backs, they had to rebuild their lives from scratch.

Jatin credits his father for keeping them afloat and ensuring that he and his brother had a fulfilling childhood.

My father worked hard to make ends meet. He had to cycle or hitch a ride to work. Despite everything, he saved enough to afford a good education for us”, Jatin remembers.

At school, Jatin played javelin, shot put and eventually cricket. Sports always felt like home.

One of my fondest memories is of walking miles, carrying heavy cricket kits, in the sweltering Delhi heat. We would save those meagre bucks, reserved for our commute, to buy a soda and a roll, post practice.”

But, like most boys in the country, he had to give it all up in favor of academics, after the tenth grade. Science, and eventually engineering had to happen, as is almost mandatory in India, despite Jatin’s lukewarm penchant for the stream. After a few months of jostling with the unexciting prospects of a life in engineering, Jatin took a stand, to the displeasure of his father.

Dropping out of Engineering was a difficult decision. But I had always enjoyed literature and theatre, and English had always been a strong-point, so when I made it into a journalism course, I immediately felt like I belonged”, said Jatin.

Steaming into an unconventional career: Broadcasting

Jatin humbly attributes his success to good fortune. But, he does mention a few milestones, that culminated into his career.

television-1553822_1920

To begin with, the pervading influence of sports in his life is unmistakable.

I remember how my cricket coach, Mr. Tushar Deshpande, once slapped me for swearing at an opponent. Sports teaches the importance of grace and respect, in victory or defeat.

Jatin credits his father for encouraging him to follow and understand cricket, in the formative years. And his mother who instilled the importance of excelling at both English and Hindi.

Jatin started working small stints while at college and did odd jobs with an event manager. Post that, he chose to intern at a smaller media channel.

I got the best career advice to join a small set-up and learn everything firsthand, instead of being a sidelined apprentice in a big firm.

About Anumita Ghosh

Anumita believes her calling has to do with the written words. She loves to write and read, and has recently given up a(n) (almost) rocking career in the Corporate to pursue her passion. Yes, she is slightly off her rocker, but then the society has been largely accepting of her madness. She is the co-founder of Blank Slate Chronicles and a struggling domestic apprentice, not to mention a loving (yet inadequately skilled) mother to a toddler.

Comments

comments

Anumita Ghosh

12 thoughts on “Jatin Sapru: An inspiring journey to a dream career

• November 23, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Your job is obviously a dream job! Just want to know that is getting into mass and media communication at graduation level is necessary?

• November 23, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Hi Srishti, Thanks for tuning in and for your question. We are collating questions for Jatin and would get a response to your query shortly! Keep reading.

• November 24, 2016 at 12:19 am

Jatin-how does one overcome the nervousness of speaking in public & in front of the camera with the burden of getting your act right, r u optimistic of tennis growing in india

• February 28, 2017 at 7:07 pm

I am interested in this career I need your guidence sir

• March 1, 2017 at 11:08 am

Hi Jatin sir I am also a big Cricket Devotee and I admire you alot . I want to become a Cricket Commentator and a Analyst so I just want to ask you that what all procedure i need to follow to become a Cricket commentator and a Analyst since I am doing Mass Communication and futher i will do the MA in Mass communication

I request you to guide me
    Hoping for a positive response

Thankyou

• March 1, 2017 at 12:45 pm

First of all thanks for this article. Your journey has been an inspiring one, your job a dream job indeed, and your hardwork and passion is all that has got you here. For me, (i guess like any other guy in india), cricket has and will always be close to my heart. Off lately i have had a strong inclination towards sports journalism and broadcasting. Harsha Bhogle and you have been my inspiration, as to non-cricketers making it big on the big stage. I know I’ll work hard if i get the opportunity (luck plays a major part though). Can i ask you for some of your tips on how to venture forward in this field. It looks like a far fetched dream but I hope to get to work along side you someday.
    PS : Can i come to the studio for one episode please?! 🙂

• March 1, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Jatin I’m inspired by your journey to this field. Can anyone tell me how can I apply for this or about this field.

• March 1, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Jatin your journey is very inspiring and slowly and gradually you are cementing your place in every cricket fanatic’s brain. I just want to ask you that for persuing tv broadcasting as a career, is it important to persue sports journalism course? Or only talent could help to come in this field? Sir I hope for a reply..

• March 14, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Hello Jatin Sir! Like most Indians I am also a big cricket fan since I was a kid. Though i did not get enough opportunities as a player but I admired watching the game since childhood and am pretty familiar with all the aspects of the game. Also I had interests in being an actor since childhood and have played leading roles in all dramas in my school for over 9 years. At the age of 21 when i am unable to find what career to choose i find your story inspiring enough. I am a BBA graduate. Please help me find a route to becoming you with almost same height as yours and similar interests

• March 14, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Jatin Sapru, you are my role modle and I really wish to persue a proffession with microphone. I would be very much glad if I might know the fact, that were you really that sure to persue or had fixed any of such targets regarding career when you were a class9-10 student??????

• February 12, 2018 at 1:59 pm

I am actually interested in doing this adorable job because i am always a cricket lover and offcourse very much passionate too becuase cricket runs in my viens so hot to do this kind of job i am in a serious need of guide could i get one please ?

• June 6, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Jatin sir mera bhii ek dream thaa kii mai cricketer bnuu but sir due to some family problem yeh toh nai hoo paya.. But jab mai apko dekhta huu toh mujhe lgda hai ki mai apke jesa ban sakta hu boze mere mai bhii ancter krne ka ek talent hai.. Manne apne school colleges mai bhaut baar anctring ki… But sir lack of knowledge kii wjah se mujhe samj ni lgg rha.. Agr aap mujhe es journey ka rasta bta doghe kya pta after two years hum dono sath mai hoo… Soooo plzzz sir help me nd if i done any mistake i feel sry for it