If you are fascinated by the grand box-office success of the Baahubali series and are wondering whether south Indian movies are, in general, worth a watch, here is a list to help you out. We have selected the 10 most popular South Indian movies, many of which were later dubbed in Hindi and other regional languages:
A spy-thriller, bilingual film (Tamil and Hindi), directed and co-produced by Kamal Haasan, starring Rahul Bose and Kamal Haasan himself. The film attained huge success at the box office and went on to become the second highest-grossing Tamil film of all time, at the time of its release. It also received the National Awards for Best Art Direction and Best Choreography. A sequel to the film is due by the end of 2017.
A Telugu film directed by SS Rajamouli (of Baahubali fame), the film centers around the reincarnation of a princess. The film was later dubbed into Tamil and Malayalam, and also remade in Bengali, as Yoddha.
A Telugu musical, about life in an engineering college. The film which was later remade in Tamil, Kannada, and Hindi. It became immensely popular among engineering students and became one of the highest-grossing films in Kerala that year.
A Tamil sci-fi, starring Kamal Haasan in ten different roles, a record in itself. The film received mixed reviews and released a Hindi-dubbed version a year later.
A Tamil film produced by Dhanush, which was later remade in Marathi, and went on to win the National Film Awards for Best Children’s Film and Best Child Artist. The story revolves around two slum children, and their desire to eat pizza. The film was critically acclaimed for its brilliant take on consumerism and became a commercial success.
A Tamil romantic thriller, with the soundtrack composed by AR Rahman, the story deals with a disabled bodybuilder-cum-supermodel, who seeks revenge. Despite the movie’s extreme long duration (188 mins), it became the fourth-highest grossing Tamil film worldwide.
A Tamil political drama directed by Mani Ratnam, and soundtrack composed by AR Rahman, was later dubbed in Malayalam and Telugu. The film stars Aishwarya Rai along with others and is said to be a biographical reference of M. Karunanidhi, M. G. Ramachandran and J Jayalalithaa.
A Telugu rom-com, starring Siddharth and Genelia D’Souza, the film beautifully portrays the conflict between Indian parents and their grown up children. The film received huge box office success, rave reviews and was later remade in Tamil, Oriya, and Bengali.
A Tamil romantic film which won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Tamil. The background score was composed by Ilaiyaraaja and the movie was remade in Hindi as Tere Naam starring Salman Khan.
It is a Tamil psycho thriller, about a lawyer suffering from multiple personality disorder. The film was dubbed in Telugu, Hindi, and French and won the National Awards in the Special Effects category.
Want to add to the list? Comment or write to us at email@example.com.
- It’s Makar Sankranti and Sweets are in the air! - January 12, 2018
- Indian Sports 2017: A year of Cricket, but so much more! - January 1, 2018
- The Mother who Plates Stories: The Magic Platter’s Sonam Jain - December 18, 2017
- 5 attractions in Vizag make it your next holiday destination! - December 13, 2017
- A Cheat Sheet to the Mouth-watering Lucknow Street Food - December 4, 2017
- 10 Unusual Chocolate Gift options perfect for Christmas in India - November 6, 2017
- Travelling with seniors: Few things to remember - October 9, 2017
- The Olas and Ubers in India are not the perfect solution, yet! - October 8, 2017
- 6 Unusual Travel tips that will make your Singapore Vacay phenomenal - October 8, 2017
- Gender discriminatory laws in India which still exists - September 14, 2017